How to Care for Your Coats
It can be easy to forget about your coats from season to season – but they actually go through a lot of wear and tear. To add to the craziness, not all coats can be cared for in the same way – because fabric matters.
General Care Tips
1. Make sure to look at and follow the clothing care tag. It should tell you what the fabric is, as well as, the wash and dry instructions.
2. If you wear a coat often, it is best to get it cleaned twice a season.
3. If you don’t want to worry about cleaning your coat or jacket drop it off at one of our 12 locations and we’ll take good care of it for you! (Tomorrow only – coats and jackets are 30% off)
How to Wash: Dry-Clean
How to Dry: Do NOT tumble dry. Air-Drying is best.
- Many times wool coats have a different fabric liner – so make sure to take a look at the coat label.
- Wool is a natural fiber, which can be strongly affected when put into water. This is why dry cleaning is the best option.
- NEVER use warm or hot water on wool fabrics.
How to Wash: Regular Cycle – Cold or Warm Water (check the label)
How to Dry: Air Dry
- Typically, these coats need to be washed more often than other fabrics.
- Fleece is a hair and lint magnet! Make sure to choose wisely when washing with other clothing/fabrics.
- Don’t use a fast spin cycle – the wrinkles in the fabric can set.
Faux Fur Coats
How to Wash: Hand Wash
How to Dry: Never put in the dryer. Dry flat.
- Usually have an inner lining that is a different fabric.
- High heat can melt the fibers – which creates matting in the faux fur.
- Do not iron.
- Brush lightly when fur is dry
Natural Fur Coats
How to Wash: Never clean at home
How to Dry: Never clean at home
- Natural fur takes specialized care and attempting to clean it at home could be disastrous for your coat.
- If not properly cared for, the fur can actually shed.
- Always use a professional dry cleaner.
How to Wash: Dry Clean
How to Dry: Hang Dry
- It’s best to let a professional dry cleaner who specializes in leather care for your leather coats.
- Other care is typically needed for leather coats – besides just washing and drying – such as conditioning the leather.
- Never hang dry in direct sunlight.